hamburger eyes is looking to publish more zines, magazines, and books from now to eternity. we love your photos and we want to publish them. please read this entire thing. i know its long, but we get a lot of submissions and the sooner you do your part to keep it organized, the sooner we can publish your photos.
we are mostly looking for stories, also known as photos essays, photo series, photo features, a particular body of work, etc.
email us and let us know what you are working on.
please send a working title, a few sentences what it is about, and 5 to 10 lo-res jpgs attached. (no zip files or pdfs please.)
if you would like to submit singles, like these photos aren’t part of any particular series, then write “SINGLES” in the subject line.
also, include contact info and any links.
send email to : email@example.com
heres a couple notes:
1. submit black and white. we only have the capability to publish black and white at the moment. so please submit black and white photos. we don’t mind if you convert them from color, but just submit them in black and white. if i were you, i would hang on to the color photos for your own publications, for other publishers, or for the day we will be able to publish color.
2. blow our minds. we get lots of submissions. note that just because we may have run a couple photos of lets say a homeless person, that doesnt necessarily mean we want all your 1000 photos of homeless people, actually i would think it would mean the opposite. how about some photos of billionaires?
3. some samples of features we have ran in the past. “from delhi with love”, awesome street photos from delhi. “enter the pacman”, a weeks worth of photos with manny pacquiao, champion boxer. “cold mountain”, photos of various mountains in south america. “resident spirts”, underwater photos of various sea creatures. “greyhound america”, photos of the usa by way of greyhound bus.
4. we will not get back to you right away if at all. yes, it could be we cant use your photos. but on the other hand, it could be we are just looking for the right time and place to use them. we will contact you way before publishing. in other words, dont call us, we’ll call you.
5. know photoshop. for photos to look nice in print, they have to be scanned and prepped nice. yes, submit lo-res photos for review, but if your photos are chosen we may need the hi-res print ready versions right away. if we choose your photos, we will send you the specs for the hi-res. understand how to use levels, sizing specs, dpi settings, etc. for lo-res submission, 700 pixels wide, 72 dpi, jpgs is fine. smaller is fine too.
6. don’t half ass it. don’t just send one photo with no info. dont just email a flickr link. we want to work with you on a regular basis, we want to know that not only are you shooting a ton but also have tons of ideas.
7. how will i know if my photos are going to be used in a zine, magazine, or book? we will discuss further as soon as we see your photos. if you have a lot of good photos of a particular series or body of work, maybe its better in a 44 page zine or 120 page book. if you have only 12 pages worth, maybe it will work better as a feature in one of our magazines. note that we most likely wouldnt give you a book if we havent already published a zine or feature by you. the idea is we want want to support our photogs with events and continued publications, we need to know if your ready. so be ready.
8. when is the deadline for submissions? tommorrow.
ps. those of you who have submitted cds under our old submission guidelines, we still have your cds on file, and we are going through all of them as we speak.
pss. we are are mostly looking for submissions for MANKIND mega-zine, epic 10-12 page features as well as singles.
pssss. theres talk of doing an all music mega-zine. not enough photos at the moment. if you have music photos, we wanna see them.
psssss. if you have no idea what we do, take a preview of recent publications here : http://hamburgereyeland.com